Thursday, August 28, 2014

August 28th - Afsoon Roshanzamir Johnston

August 28
Today is the day that I get to write to you from a coach's perspective and from a previous (very previous) World Team member.
I have to start by saying that I am so excited for these 8 women. I've come to know each and every one of them, their personalities, their talents, and their quirks. They feel like my children or younger sisters (yes, I'm aging myself). I came back home to San Diego a couple of days ago, to touch base with my family before the two week leave for the World Championships. What amazed me, is that I'm missing these 8 women just as I miss my family when I'm away. This team has truly become like my second family and I'm feeling very close to them.
I remember the first World Championships that I medaled in (1990). All I can say is "We've come a long way, baby!" I remember along with the World medals, they were handing out kitchen appliances to us on the podium. No joke! I have my Teflon pot to prove it. I'm thrilled to see how women's wrestling has advanced on the World stage...and I'm super excited about this group of 8 women bringing home some hardware and hopefully the Team Title!


-Afsoon Johnston
2014 World Team Coach



No comments:

Post a Comment